Thursday, December 3, 2015

A Cozy Christmas Entry Way

One day... I will post more often on this poor, neglected blog.  Life has been so busy since being married in May and taking on my first teaching job in August.  {I love my sweet first grade kiddos}  Today i'm sharing my latest home project.  Jamie and I are currently renting, and would love to have a house of our own to fix up one day.  I quickly run out of spots to decorate in our little 2 bedroom condo.  So in the meantime... when I get the itch to re-do/decorate, I'll just go to mom's house ;).  While I was visiting one weekend, I got the idea to totally remodel her foyer(I have never done this before people)....and it happened!  Many of you may not know, but I secretly dream of being a designer, an interior decorator,  Joanna Gaines twin(Ha), etc... love decorating and re-doing things/bringing a home back to life.

Anyways.. Mom was eager for me to take on this project and fully trusted me.  I have to admit, I was surprised!  Although I dream of doing this one day, I have NEVER taken on a project this big.  Over my Thanksgiving break from school, I spent 4 days working on the room(1 of which involved some Black Friday shopping of course).  The house was built in 1977 and has been remodeled quite a bit, but still has a few rooms that could use some love.  The foyer started out with brown wood paneling on the walls, and was pretty rough in a few spots.  I'm 90% sure I will have shiplap all over my home one day, so of course I loved the looked of the paneling.  Shiplap looks somewhat like paneling but runs horizontal on the wall... This paneling was close enough and ended up beautiful in the end.  I wanted to paint it all white and give it a fresh, clean look.  Mom loved the idea, so it happened(yay).  Here are a few pictures of the room before the project began.  The door is fairly new and only needed a few paint touch ups.

My before pictures are not wonderful but they will do.  If you can imagine it, there were 4 large, outdated cabinets right inside the door to the left, you can tell where the tile is a lighter color.  Mom had them ripped out a few days before I came.  I had a nice little helper with me too!



                                             





After priming and painting the walls, we had the guys hang crown molding, door frames, and baseboard.  We also updated the door knobs, light switches and outlets.  It's amazing what a difference those little things make when they are so outdated. You know that saying, "What did we get ourselves into?"  That was said many of times throughout this project.  There is so much that goes into remodeling, especially when you're talking about bringing 38 year old paneling back to life.  It was all worth it in the end and the room turned out just like the little vision in head.  So here it is- a cozy Christmas entry way...




The table and mirror are from Kirklands.  Everything else was pieced together and found at Homegoods, TJmaxx, Kohls, Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and Marshalls.  These are my go-to's for most projects.  Can you believe this is the same room!! It's amazing what some fresh paint will do to a room.










Funny story- I am very stubborn when I get a vision in my head.  The tree in the corner started out as a 7ft. tree that we found at Kmart on Black Friday.  We could not find a 4-5 ft. skinny tree..anywhere, and that was part of the vision!  After a few tried talking me into completely changing the set-up of the room.. they quickly realized that I was determined to make it work.  We ended up keeping just the top two portions of the tree and we tucked the branched in to make it skinnier.  This actually made it look fuller too(win-win).  My stubbornness paid off, and my vision turned out exaclty as I planned.  We found this bench at Homegoods, and it is way cooler than it appears.  When you open it, there's pockets for shoes!











Well thanks for stopping by!! I hope you enjoyed seeing my first little "reno" project because I sure enjoyed every second of putting this room together.  My mom is loving her new space and I am still in awe of the transformation.  Leave a comment and let me know you stopped by.  Wishing you a cozy Christmas!!








Post a Comment

On Instagram

© Pure Lovely. Made with love by The Dutch Lady Designs.